My New Danish Find

In line with the last post, I am continuing my romance with TV series. I literally found out about my next series in a comment section of some post. The next thing I know, I am half way down the second season of Borgen. And, I would have to say its hand down the best political TV production that I have seen in a long time. 

These days I abhor any lengthy series. But this one just grabbed me and held me tight. The Danes and Swedish do quality TV, especially in casting and character direction. Compared to many US productions, where characters are often like cardboard cut-outs, this series gave us believable real people.  The story too was very well crafted, looking deep into human behavior, morals and ethics in power, and the consequences of actions taken.

The show follows the newly elected first ever woman prime minister of Denmark and her spin-doctor. It is a fascinating insight into how government works in a democratic society and how it "maybe" deals with so many issues that affect us all. If you hate politics and politicians, this series will give you a view of their lives and to understand things from their end. It has tried to make politics relativistic; it’s kind of like the West Wing but with more recognizable characters.

And the actors, these with such force, such intimacy and conviction in their portrayal that I am convinced that these people are real. They come alive as characters that you have to have a cold shower and calm down before facing the sad fact that one does not really know them and that they are really fictitious characters played by actors. The other night I was lying awake worrying about them, because of their personal problems. That is how it gets you! I don't believe I was involved in a series at such a visceral level. I was so engrossed that I forgot that I was watching a subtitled program in a language I have no knowledge of.

All in all Borgen is an outstanding TV series. The political shifts are totally credible. The relationship between the media and political offices is also convincingly portrayed. The way in which personal lives are impacted - particularly of course that of the Prime Minister's - has real emotional charge. If you want to move into the new era of political dramas, this is the one for you. This would help you tide you over before House of Cards starts next season.

Comments

Popular Posts